Everybody knows how to clean touchpad on laptop doesn’t it? You can guess that it should be very simple to clean your laptop and its touchpad.
And we admit that this is almost similar to cleaning any other electronic devices. However, the issue with cleaning a laptop touchpad comes from confusion.
Because people do know how to clean it. But they don’t know what cleaning product they should use. To tackle this situation, we will be discussing all the ins and outs of cleaning the touchpad of a laptop in this post.
So, let’s begin…
Disclaimer: Cleaning the touchpad of a laptop is pretty straightforward. However, not all laptops are made equal. So, based on the model of your laptop, one type of cleaning agent might work better than the other. Also, Tech25s is not responsible if you accidentally damage your laptop or any part of the laptop while cleaning the touchpad following this tutorial.
How to Clean Touchpad on Laptop – 7 steps
- A dry cloth
- A damp cloth (cotton cloth or paper towel)
- Cotton swabs
- 50% Isopropyl alcohol solution
- Window or glass cleaner
Now, to clean your touchpad, you can use any dry cloth to clean it as usual. However, a damp cloth will do the job better.
Also, you can use water to clean the touchpad. However, if you want to disinfect the touchpad, a 50%-70% isopropyl alcohol solution would be perfect.
If you don’t have that, you can also use any glass or window cleaner cleaning agent for this purpose.
You can use paper towels to clean the touchpad. However, a cotton fabric would do better in this case. Plus, cotton swabs be necessary only if there is a very tiny amount of greasy dirt in the touchpad.
Now that you know what are the things you will need, let’s learn how to perform the cleaning process.
Again, remember that only a damp cloth would be fine if you don’t have the other cleaning agents like the isopropyl alcohol or glass cleaner.
Steps to follow to clean your touchpad on laptop
First thing first, you should turn off your laptop if it is not already. Also, please unplug the laptop if it was being charged at the moment. Better yet, you can also remove the battery if possible.
Take a piece of a damp cloth, or dampen the cloth with a little bit of water. If there is excess water, you should wring the fabric to remove all the extra water.
Now that you have dab off the excess water, you can start to clean the touchpad with the damp cloth. Be careful while you are cleaning it. Remember not to push very hard that the touchpad gets damaged.
Also, if there is excess water in the cloth, your touchpad or keyboard could get damaged. So, always try to remove the extra water.
If the touchpad is still dirty, you can dampen the cloth a little with the isopropyl or rubbing alcohol solution. You can also use a glass cleaner cleaning agent instead as well.
Then try to clean the trackpad of your laptop again carefully. By this time, the residual dirt should be gone and the touchpad would be disinfected as well.
Then again, many laptop manufacturers don’t recommend using any cleaning agent to clean the touchpad. Among them, Apple is one of the brands that warns against using any cleaning solution.
Rather, they recommend using a lint-free cloth and water.
You can also use the cotton swab to remove any hard dirt around the trackpad during this time.
At this moment, you have to take the dry cloth and wipe the touchpad lightly. So that the touchpad becomes dry quickly. You can also use any paper towel to wipe the touchpad dry in this instance.
Wait until the touchpad area is completely dry. Verify whether the surface is dry or not. After you are sure that the touchpad is dry, you can power on the laptop. Now, check whether the touchpad of your laptop is working or not.
That is it! Now you know how to clean your laptop’s touchpad.
Tips to Keep in Mind before Cleaning the Touchpad of your Laptop
- You should never pour or spray any liquid directly onto the touchpad of your laptop. Always, pour the cleaning agent or water on the cloth first. And then wring the cloth to release the extra water
- Do not perform the cleaning process directly over the laptop. That way, you might spill any liquid on your laptop which will damage it
- If the touchpad has become very oily, you can also use the famous ‘Mr. Clean Magic Eraser’ to clean the touchpad
- Remember that the touchpad of your laptop is very sensitive. So do not push too hard while cleaning it
- If the touchpad on your laptop doesn’t work even after cleaning it, chances are it is damaged. So you should contact a laptop service center or send the laptop to warranty if possible
Tips To Keep Your Laptop in Good Shape
- Try to clean your laptop frequently. The keyboard and the touchpad on your laptop are the most exposed parts of your laptop. These parts also get the most touches from the users, so they also get dirty faster. As a result, you should clean those parts more frequently
- Avoid eating or drinking over your laptop. Spilling water or any type of liquid might damage the laptop beyond repair
- Always wash and dry your hands before using your laptop if you have used something oil-based
It is not that hard to clean the touchpad of a laptop. However, if you are not careful enough, you might end up damaging the touchpad.
That is why it is good to know what cleaning products you should use in order to clean your laptop’s trackpad.
In this post, we have tried to share all the necessary information related to cleaning the touchpad of your laptop. In addition, we have also shared a few tips to keep your laptop tidy.
We hope this post will come in handy for you to keep your laptop in good shape.
Before you go, you can read our post about 25 Windows tips and tricks. And, if you have any further questions, you can let us know in the comment section below!