This post will answer all of your questions regarding – how to set voicemail on a VTech phone. If you are using a VTech telephone, you might want to set an outgoing message on your phone.
Lucky for you, it is entirely possible to set up a custom voicemail message on VTech phones. However, you know VTech has released several different models of telephones.
And, we don’t know which model you are using at the moment. The best way to find the solution to this issue is to read the instruction manual that came with your telephone set.
Many users have already found the correct way to set answering messages on their VTech phones by reading the instruction manual.
Anyway, if you don’t have access to the instruction manual right now, you can even download the instruction manual from their official website. That way, it will be easier for you to find the correct solution for your particular VTech phone model faster.
Nevertheless, we are going to talk about multiple ways to fix this issue in this article.
So without further ado, let’s start…
Tutorial on How to Set Voicemail on VTech Phones
There are many models of VTech phones out there. And, the methods of setting up voicemail on each model would be different. So, it is hard to explain the whole process in a single tutorial. As a result, we will be sharing multiple methods of setting up voicemail on VTech phones in this post.
Method #1 The Standard Way to Set Up Your Voicemail on Mediacom VTech Phones
Typically, you will have to use a local telephone provider with your VTech phone. Also, you will have to subscribe to their voice mail service. There are many telephone providers out there. However, here we will be talking about Mediacom.
So, if you are using the service of Mediacom and VTech phone at the same time, then you can follow the steps described below to set up your voicemail.
So let’s see how to do this…
Steps to Follow
- First of all, dial your own phone number and when you hear the standard system greeting, press the * button instantly.
- Next, you will have to set up your passcode. You can easily do that by following the audio prompts. For the record, the new passcode should be between 4 to 10 characters.
- Then, you will be prompted to set up your voicemail greeting.
- Here, you will have a few options to choose from—for example, system greeting, voice signature, temporary greeting, and personal greeting.
- For your information, the ‘system greeting’ option would be set to your mailbox number. Then the voice signature will be your name. And, the personal and temporary greeting would be recorded by you.
- Remember to keep the personal greetings short and no longer than 30 seconds.
- At this point, you will be at the main menu on your phone. Select option number 3, which will be ‘Change your personal options’
- Next, you will have to choose option number 3 again, ‘Record Greeting.’
- In this instance, you will be given 3 more options, which are ‘Personal Greeting,’ ‘Standard Greeting,’ and ‘Leave Caller Instructions’
- As you will be recording a personal greeting, you have to press 1
- At the tone, record your greeting, and don’t forget to press ‘#.’
- If you are satisfied with the recording, press ‘1.’
- But if you want to listen to it again, press 2.
- If you are not happy with it and want to re-record, then you need to press 3.
- If you are done and want to leave the menu, press the ‘*’ or ‘0’ key.
That is it. Now that you have set up voicemail on your VTech phone, how do you access it? Let’s learn the system of accessing the voicemail on your touch-tone phone.
Steps to Accessing Voicemail
- First, dial your own number and then press * during the outgoing greeting.
- You will be prompted to enter your passcode, so do that.
- Now, you will be able to access your voice mailbox.
- Remember, in most cases, a voice mailbox will hold up to 30 messages for 30 days.
- Now, if you want to listen to a message, press 1. In doing so, any new or skipped messages will paly
- If there are no messages left, you will be notified and be returned to the main menu.
- In case you want to reply to a message, press 2 or 4
- If you want to save the message, you have to press the ‘9’ button. And, if you want to delete it, then press 7. But if you want to skip it, then press #
- If you have deleted a message accidentally, press * to recover it
Congratulations! You have now set up your voicemail on your new VTech phone. This is only one method. And, it might work on your particular model of VTech phone. If that is the case, then let’s proceed to the next method.
Method #2 The Announcement Feature – If you have an Answering Machine
In this section, we will talk about the ‘Announcement’ feature on many VTech phones. The ‘Announcement’ is the very message a caller hears first when the answering machine receives the call, for your information.
By default, every VTech phone comes with a pre-recorded announcement. But you can record your own. And, this will be your voicemail message. So, let’s see how to do this.
Steps to Follow to Record New Announcement
- First, press the Menu or OK button while the phone is not in use.
- Next, scroll down by pressing the up and down arrow buttons and select ‘Ans. Machine’ option.
- To select it, press the Ok or Menu button.
- Then you have to scroll down and select the ‘TAM Settings’ option.
- From the next menu, you will have to select the ‘OGM Settings’ option. If you don’t find it, you will have to scroll down using the arrow buttons.
- Next, you can choose between two options that are ‘ANS & REC’ or ‘Answer only.’ Choose the one you like.
- Again, press the OK/Menu button and arrow buttons to scroll down to the ‘Record Mess’ option.
- At this point, after pressing the ‘Ok’ or ‘Menu’ button, you will see ‘Recording’ on display. So you can speak and record your message now.
- Finally, press the Ok or Menu to save the recording.
So, you have recorded your new voicemail. Now, it is your turn to listen to the announcement you have just recorded. Here’s how…
Steps to Follow to Play the Announcement
- Again, press the Menu or Ok button on the phone while it is not in use.
- Then, scroll down using the arrow buttons and select the ANS. Machine option by pressing the OK or Menu button
- Next, scroll down and select the TAM Settings option.
- Then, again scroll to OGM Settings and select it.
- Now, you have to press the arrow buttons to choose either the ‘Ans & Rec’ or ‘Answer Only’ option.
- At this point, press the OK or Menu button twice, and the VTech will start to play the announcement, and the display will show the ‘Playing OGM’ notification.
Method #3 If You Use a Local Telephone Provider
Normally, you will be using a telephone service provider with your VTech phone. If you subscribe to their voice mail service, they will provide you a passcode and an access number. They will also tell you how to use it. Unfortunately, on many occasions, some companies don’t offer an instruction manual.
That is why many users are clueless about what to do with those access numbers and passcode. But don’t worry, we have got your back. In this action, we will show you how to use those codes and numbers to set up your voicemail on VTech phones.
Steps to Follow
- First off, press the Menu/OK/Select button on your VTech phone.
- Next, using the up/down arrow buttons to select the ‘Voicemail Setup’ option. To select, you have to press the ‘Menu/OK/Select’ button.
- Then scroll until you find the ‘Access Number’ option and select it by pressing the Menu/Ok/Select button.
- Now, you will have to enter the access number you have received from the telephone service provider.
- After entering the correct access number, press the Menu/Select button to hear the confirmation code.
- Now, dial your own phone number using the ‘Voice Mail’ button on your telephone.
- At this point, your particular telephone service provider will let you know the steps to follow to set up the voice mail.
- So follow the prompts, and you will be able to set up your voice mail as you would like to
Method #4 How to Set up Voicemail on Your VTech 5.8 Telephone
In this section, we will discuss how to set up voicemail on your VTech 5.8 telephone. Interestingly, this is a pretty standard method of setting up voicemail on a VTech phone. So, even if you don’t have the VTech 5.8 model telephone, you can try this method. So, let’s begin…
Steps to Follow
- First, set up the answering machine that came with your VTech phone.
- Then, press the ‘Answer On/Off’ button at the bottom of the main phone.
- Then, press the ‘Setup’ button and use the up/down arrows to navigate to set the number of rings before the answering machine receives the call. Remember, you have to press the Menu/OK/Select button on the phone to select an option.
- Next, you have to press the ‘Announce’ key on the VTech phone, which will play the system greeting.
- But if you want to record a new one, you will have to select the ‘Record’ option to record a new voicemail.
Knowing how to set voicemail on your new Vtech phone is very important. Typically, the company you have bought the phone from would help you to do so. But in many cases, it is probable that you might need to set up the voicemail on your phone yourself. For that reason, we have shared several methods to help you set up voicemail on your VTech phone. We hope this post will come in handy to you in the long run.
By the way, you might be interested in Silicon Valley. If so, you can give our post-’25 Silicon Valley facts that will make you want to start a company’ a read; you will enjoy it for sure. If you have any suggestions or opinions, you can let us know in the comment below!