Are you curious about how to mark a message unread on Messenger? As an instant messaging and communication app, Messenger has the highest number of users worldwide.
People are sending and receiving billions of messages every day via Messenger.
When you receive a message on Messenger and open it, then its status gets changed to ‘Read’. The other person that sent the message will know by then that you have read their message.
However, you might want otherwise.
In that case, you might want to mark a message unread on Messenger. In this post, we will be sharing how to mark a message Unread on Messenger.
Along with that, you will also learn how to avoid the sender from knowing that you have seen their message on Messenger.
So, let’s cut to the chase…
Tutorial on How to Mark A Message Unread on Messenger?
Can You Really Mark Message Unread on Messenger?
So you want to read a message on Messenger. But you don’t want the sender to know about that.
You know, after you have read a message on Messenger, it will be marked as ‘Read’. Then the sender will know that you have read their message. So you think if you could mark it as ‘Unread’ somehow. Is it possible?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to mark ‘Unread’ a message you have just read.
However, you can follow a few tricks to make sure the sender would not know that you have read their message. We will talk about those in the latter part of the post.
At the same time, there are methods you can follow to mark messages as ‘Unread’ on Messenger. However, that is only for sorting purposes.
That means you can sort all the messages on your inbox by ‘Mark As Unread’. We will share the steps to achieve this as well in this post. So, let’s get to it.
Method #1 Mark as Unread From the Messenger App
If you are using the Messenger app, then you can easily use the ‘Mark as Unread’ feature. This is very easy to do.
However, based on the version of the Messenger app you are using, the process might vary slightly. So keep that in mind.
Steps to Follow
- Launch the Messenger app on your phone if you have not already.
- Then, locate the conversation you want to sort by ‘Unread’. Remember, here we are talking about the entire conversation, not a single message.
- So, tap and hold on to the conversation (the sender’s name) you want to mark as unread. Or you could also swipe left over the conversation. Remember, do not open the conversation; it doesn’t work on single messages. In doing so, a few icons and options will appear on the screen on the right side.
- You have to tap on the ‘Hamburger’ icon (it looks like 3 horizontal lines) from those options.
- As a result, an overlay menu will appear on the screen. From that menu, click on the ‘Mark as unread’ option.
That is it! Now, this conversation will be marked as unread for you. So, even if you have read any messages from that conversation, it will be marked as unread only for you.
It will work as a sorting tool. That means you will be reminded to check that message once again later. But it will not be marked as unread for the sender.
Method #2 Mark as Unread From Facebook.com
If you are using Facebook from the browser, then you cannot follow the steps above. Because that method is exclusive to the Messenger app users.
Now, if you are browsing Fb.com or Facebook.com and want to mark messages as unread, you can do that as well.
Once again, it doesn’t work on single messages. Also, this method will work as a sorting tool.
So, it will mark that conversation as unread only for you. If you have read the messages, then the sender will know that. Now that you know this, we can proceed…
Steps to Follow
- So log in to your Facebook account if you have not already on your browser.
- Next, click/tap on the ‘Messenger’ icon on the top of the screen. It will bring out the list of all the senders, and all the conversations will be there.
- So, find out the conversation you want to mark as unread. However, if you don’t see the conversation you are looking for, you can scroll down or click/tap on the ‘See All in Messenger’ option.
- Now, click/tap on the ‘Gear/Settings’ icon right next to the sender’s name. In doing so, a few options will appear on the screen.
- Among them, you will have to click on the ‘Mark as Unread’ option.
With that, you have marked that particular conversation thread as unread. But you know that this will not hide the fact that you have read the message from the sender.
So, what can you do if you want to hide that you have read a Facebook message from the sender? Fear not!
We have some tricks for you. We have to admit that these tricks might not always work. Still, you could give them a try.
Tip #1 Use the Notification Panel
Normally, when you receive any new messages on Messenger, you will get a notification. Interestingly, if this is a small message, then you will be able to read the message directly from the notification bar.
Yes, you don’t have to open that particular Messenger chat, yet you can read the entire message.
That way the sender will not be aware that you have read the message already. But in reality, you have read the message.
After reading the first message, swipe the notification left/right side of the screen to remove it. That way, you will be able to read the next message using the same method.
Because if they are sending multiple messages at once, the notification shade will fill up pretty soon. And, you will not be able to read all the messages from there.
Thus, it is a better idea to clear out the notification panel once you have read each message.
Tip #2 Use the Airplane Mode
Chances are you have received a lot of messages from someone, and you could not read them from the notification bar.
Now, you must read the message from the Messenger app. However, once you have read it from Messenger, it will be marked as ‘Read’.
And you don’t want that to happen. So, what can you do to hide that you have read those FB messages on Messenger?
We have another tip for you. Once again, it is possible that it might not work. But many users have reported that they have used this trick successfully. So, here we go…
Steps to Follow
- Let’s say you have received a message from a person, and you don’t want them to find out that you have read that message. At that moment, turn on the ‘Airplane Mode’ on your phone.
- And then read the message. You could also take a screenshot to read it later.
- Now, force close the Messenger app and, if possible, clear the cache.
- That way, you can check the Messenger messages, but they will not be marked as ‘Read’.
How to Turn on Airplane Mode
If you don’t know how to turn on airplane mode, then this part of the post is for you.
- Bing out the notification panel by swiping down from the top of the screen.
- Now, look for an icon that looks like an airplane. This is the ‘Airplane Mode’ icon.
- So, tap on that icon to enable the ‘Airplane Mode’ icon. Normally, once the ‘Airplane Mode’ is activated, the icon will be highlighted.
- You can disable the Airplane mode by tapping on the icon again.
Remember, once you have activated the ‘Airplane Mode’, there will be no network connectivity on your phone.
So, after you have checked the message, you should disable the Airplane Mode. Otherwise, you will not receive the next messages.
With the increase of Facebook users, Messenger has become the number 1 instant messaging and communication app globally.
Interestingly, Facebook is going to merge both Messenger and Instagram next. So, you can use Messenger to send messages to other Instagram users.
Many of you wanted to know how you can mark a message ‘Unread’ on the Messenger app. You might want to know this trick to hide your activity in Messenger yet taking a look at a recent message you have received.
Or you might have wanted to learn this normally. Whatever the case, we have tried to share multiple ways to do that in this post.
We have also explained some important tips on how to hide that you have read a message on Messenger. We hope this post will come in handy in the long run for you.
If you are a Facebook user, then you can read our interesting post on 25 Fun Facts about Facebook Every User Should Know. You will enjoy it. And, don’t forget to share this post with others!